Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Leviathan Rising reviewed in SFX magazine

It was with equal amounts excitement and trepidation that I opened the latest issue of SFX magazine. I had been informed/warned by my editor at Abaddon Books that 'Leviathan Rising' was featured and had been given a 'reasonable review'.

So, I dutifully went straight to the book review section to find 'Leviathan Rising' on the second page, with a full column length piece about it, rather than one of those 'Also out this month'-style asides. And it got three stars, which I think is very respectable considering that the grand masters of science fiction and fantasy are also reviewed within the magazine's hallowed pages.

I'm also pretty happy with what the reviewer - Stephen Jewell - has to say about the book, apart from most of his comments in the final paragraph. But then I'm allowed to be critical; this is my blog and I'm talking about a review of my book, after all. And surely if anyone can take a little criticism, a critic can; can't they?

Stephen quite fairly remarks that I wear my influences on my sleeve. And I agree that I tip my hat to Waterworld (although only in the title of one of the chapters). However, I would like to point out that I can't have intentionally done the same with regard to Doctor Who's 'Voyage of the Damned' as I finished writing the novel a good six weeks before that show even aired. (In fact I even pre-empted just such a comment in my Christmas Day post last year.) If Stephen had realised that, perhaps he wouldn't have quite so damning in his last comment, which could itself be the subject of a whole other post (and perhaps will be one day).

Anyway, you can read the review for yourself in the May issue of SFX and (even better) you can now read 'Leviathan Rising' for yourself. Why not compare the two and then have your say by commenting on this post?

Until next time...

4 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

Ahh reviews! SFX is a great mag - i used to read them religiously, and then pile them up by the loo for future perusal. Three stars is good! It's great to get your cover in there.

April 10, 2008 at 7:44 AM  
Blogger C64 Mat said...

Ah well, screw 'em. I remember reading that at the time, that you'd written a part in your new book that somewhat paralleled events in the doctor who episode that aired AFTER the fact. Despite writers saying, as they often do, that they don't care about reviews it must be hard to put months of effort into something and go over it several times to get it just so and then have someone give it an average review, and pull it down in the final section. The fact is though, that one guys opinion will not change the opinions of the fans that enjoy the series. I hope it sells well and Pax Britannia continues from strength to strength. Good will, as always :)

April 10, 2008 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's an awful book. Truly dire. The level of english and plot compare with another lemon on my shelves, 'Pike', which was a rewrite of 'Jaws' but set on Lake Windermere. It's that bad.

June 4, 2008 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Green said...

Well, then you'll know not to pick up any more of my novels in future, won't you? So, reading it wasn't an entirely wasted exercise.

September 29, 2008 at 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home