Friday, December 21, 2007

P J Holden

P J Holden is an artist who is steadily making more and more of a name for himself within the world of comics. Having started out illustrating scripts for 2000AD (producing a fair few pages for Judge Dredd as well as Future Shocks and the ‘86ers’) he is now working on the ‘Fearless’ mini-series for Image Comics.

I came to work with P J when I was scripting strips for Warhammer Monthly. I had written a three-page, one-trick story set in Games Workshop’s Necromunda setting (a futuristic industrial wasteland off-shoot of the Warhammer 40,000 universe) called ‘Slavebreak’.

A little while later I actually received an email from P J, letting me know that he was going to be the artist on the strip. No other comic artist I had worked with before had done this (and they haven’t since either). Apart from his friendly approach, what impressed me the most about P J was his enthusiasm. It seems he went to a great deal of trouble for such a short strip, sending me character sketches of some of the hard-bitten pit-slaves who feature in the tale, before setting to work on the strip pages themselves.

I would love to show you some of these, but this was a long time ago and (a fair few computers later) unfortunately I don’t have them anymore. However, I have included a scan here of the first page of the script to give you an idea of what it was like.




You can read more about what P J is up to at the moment, and browse his portfolio at his official website ‘Notes from the Drawing Board’.

3 Comments:

Blogger PJ Holden said...

Hey! Guess what I turned up!

May 7, 2008 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Green said...

Hi P J

Good to hear from you. How's it going?

May 7, 2008 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger PJ Holden said...

All good - email me so I can say hello properly (can't find your email address). Also, since I may have been too cryptic in my previous post, my website (www.pauljholden.com) has all the sketches, pencils, inks and greyscales for that strip on it!

(Use the contact me! page on my website to email me!)

- pj

May 9, 2008 at 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home